Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas Memories

I love Christmas time and all of the festivities and traditions that accompany the holiday season. In October when I began planning for the holidays, I made the decision that for every activity we did involving Santa I wanted to do something regarding the true meaning of Christmas. The list of things we could with Santa just kept adding up as I struggeled to find things for us to do as a family involving the true meaning of Christmas.

Last weekend we went to "Christmas Comes Alive" a live nativity. As we rode the hayride through the different scenes of the nativity story, Ellie asked questions and would point things out. I was really pleased because she was really listening and I knew that she understood what she was seeing and hearing. I was unable to get any pictures, because it was so cold and we were cuddled under blankets.

This Saturday we went to a trailer park nearby to pass out groceries, coats and toys to a very needy community. When our church first started planning the outreach several people made the comment that the neighborhood was no place for teenagers or children. I decided that regardless of what others said I wanted my children to grow up understanding and being exposed to poverty. I wanted them to experience the act of giving and to see it modeled by their parents. I choose not take my camera, because I did not need anything else to keep up with.

Though I do not have photographs I will always remember these Christmas memories.

1 comment:

Nana said...

What wonderful examples you are setting for you children. These will also be special things that they look forward to each year. XO